This recipe is very magical and the cookies go great with afternoon tea. The secret is to crush the lavender very fine and do not use too much. You do not want it to overwhelm the flavor of the cookie.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Preheat the Oven To: 375 degrees
Baking Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Makes 3 Dozen Cookies
Victorian Lavender Cookies Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup softened real butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh lavender, crushed
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rose water (you can find this at most herb store)
Victorian Lavender Cookies Recipe:
- Soften butter cream together with sugar.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until blended.
- Mix butter, sugar and eggs together.
- Crush lavender with mortar and pestal add to dry ingredients.
- Stir the dry ingredients into egg mixture until blended.
- Drop the cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
While the cookies bake, prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar with water and rose water. Drizzle over the cookies after they have cooled.
After the frosted cookies have dried, you can place them in an air tight container. However, they are best when eaten soon after they have been baked. They can be placed on a pretty plate and everyone will be asking for the recipe!