These are very simple, easy cookies to make that my family loves. You can also add ¾ cup of firmly packed brown sugar in place of the granulated sugar and the omit the lemon zest. This will give it a rich butterscotch flavor, which I love.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Chilling Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 8 minutes
Makes 4 Dozen Cookies
Drop Sugar Cookies Ingredients
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar plus additional sugar for topping
- 2 thirds cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Drop Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Sift flour, baking power and salt into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until blended.
- Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and lemon zest to the eggs and mix well.
- Stir the dry ingredients into egg mixture until blended.
- Chill, covered, for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drop the cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Mist the bottom of a 3-inch flat-bottom glass with water and dip the glass in the additional sugar.
- Press the top of each cookie lightly with the glass to flatten, misting the glass with water and dipping in sugar before pressing each cookie.
- Bake cookies until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets for about 2 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers or freeze for future use.