Cleaning with baking soda is a basic household item that can save you a lot of money and clean better then store bought chemicals that are potentially very dangerous to use, especially around children. Just like vinegar, baking soda is non-toxic, used for multiple purposes, and is much less expensive then special made cleaning agents. Next to vinegar, baking soda is my favorite cleaning product.
Follow these tips for cleaning with Baking Soda:
- Keep a small box or container full of baking soda in the fridge to keep away smelly odors, this also helps in your cupboards.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of your trash cans to help prevent odors.
- Baking soda is also good to have on hand to put out grease fires.
- To make your own cleanser, mix 1 tablespoon of liquid detergent with 1/4 cup of baking soda, adding vinegar to make it thick and somewhat creamy.
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the kitchen sink, then pour one cup of hot vinegar over it and let stand for 10 minutes. Run hot water drain the drain to rinse it out and this will clean and deodorize at the same time.
- To clean the soap scum in the bathtub, spray the tub with vinegar then scrub it with baking soda.
- To clean the shower head, using a sandwich bag pour half cup baking soda and a cup of vinegar in it, tie around shower head and once it stops bubbling after about an hour then remove the bad and rinse with water.
- To clean stains off the carpet, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar with 1/4 cup baking soda and gently rub into the carpet stain and let it dry. Vacuum it up the following day.
- You can make your own air freshener by mixing 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a spray bottle, then just spray – perfect for the bathroom.
- Cleaning surfaces can be done with baking soda sprinkled on a wet rag then wipe and rinse with water.
- To remove stains that are on fiberglass, plastic, sports equipment or anything else of that nature, make a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part vinegar, apply the past to needed areas then wipe clean with soapy water then rinse.
- Add some baking soda to the cat box and it will help eliminate the odor.
- You can also use some baking soda on the grease stains in the garage or on the driveway. Just apply it and let it soak in overnight and rinse, repeat as necessary.
- If you have a pet that has that wet pet smell, sprinkle some baking soda on them and give them a good brushing and that should do the trick.
There are tons more you can do with baking soda and I just touched on a few. But give it a try and you will be surprised at what it can do for you.